An effort to document for posterity while attempting to maintain a sense of
sanity... Enjoy.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

maybe I'll take up babysitting...

...but not like day-care in my home.

.
I mean babysitting like I used to do when I was a teenager: make some mac & cheese, play a little Chutes and Ladders, put kids to bed, clean up the house, watch a movie until the parents get home and get paid $2.00 an hour for it.
.
Only now those girls are making $15 an hour around here. I thought I was paying a lot when I paid $8/hr in NJ. Anyway, sign me up. I'd give up 3 hours of my evening at someone else's house with someone else kids for $50. Well no, on second thought, I probably wouldn't. Just like I probably won't be paying for much babysitting of my own very often.
.
We're going to visit grandparents and uncles this weekend. Maybe we can get a little better rate.

8 comments:

Melanie said...

You gotta come to my ward! I paid only $2.50/hr. and that was per the mom's recommendation! You must be pricing the older teenagers...I'm sure they have a pretty steep rate-$15/hr sounds about right! You know we could always babysit, right? Hope you have a good weekend. Let me know what the uncles charge! :)

G said...

Ouch! Here I think the most I've heard is $7-8 and we usually pay $5 for our 2 kids and are considered a little generous. I'm sorry!!! It sounds like babysitting rates follow housing costs, which makes no sense at all. Most babysitters still live at their parent's house for free, right?

Tricia said...

I pay $11/hour here in NC for my four. Younger girls will take $9 or $10/hour.

When we get to the end of an evening, I always panic...do I even have enough cash?!

Lindsay said...

That is CrAzY!You should move to Boston. The YW just did a fundraiser for camp and charged a flat fee of $15.00 for 1 kid for 3 hours or $20.00 for 2 or more kids for 3 hours. Are they CPR certified? Did you do a background check on them? How many years of experience do these sitters have?

Shar said...

Eeewww. I was just wondering how much to pay babysitters. We've had one once, and paid her minimum wage, whatever it is right now in NM. For $15 an hour, she better have the house scrubbed spotless, and my kid better know quadratic equations and Spanish.

Mary Beth said...

MEL- I'm totally coming to your ward. It's worth the 20 minute drive to Lafayette to pick up that girl! (Heck, that's less of a drive that I had to do to pick up my babysitters in New Jersey!)

GRETCHEN- good point! Maybe we could petition for a standard national rate or something.

TRICIA- We have the same panic!

LINDSAY- I wish our ward would do a fund raiser like that! I thought about trying to convice the Young Women that babysitting for free while we go to the temple was a good way for them to participate in temple work!

SHAR- that's so funny and should be true! I found this rate calculator website that's kind of cool:

http://www.sittercity.com/rate_calculator.html

But I also ask the girls and other moms in the area and usually get a better idea of what the going rate is.

Nancy Clark said...

yikes! by the time we pay for babysitting, about all we can afford to do for the date is go on a walk...

Kate said...

I feel your pain. We're still recovering from the last time we had a sitter- $30 for less than 3 hours. And he was already fed, bathed, and in bed! We basically paid her to watch TV and text message her friends. It's sooo frustrating!